1 x 230g pate brisee (ready rolled short crust pastry) or ready cooked 8 - 9" flan case
300ml creme fraiche
200ml coconut milk/cream
400g plain chocolate
2 whole eggs plus 1 yolk
8 tbls dessicated coconut
pinch of salt (about 1/4 tsp)
whipped cream to serve.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180˚C
2. Line a 8 - 9" flan case with the pastry, prick the bottom, cover with grease proof paper, fill with cooking beans and cook for 20 -25 minutes. Remove the beans and return to the oven for another 5 - 10 mins. The pastry case should be a light golden colour but cooked as there is no more real cooking.
3. Place a bowl over a pan of simmering water, make sure the bowl does not touch the water, break the chocolate into the bowl and melt. Once melted stir in 4 - 6 tbls of dessicateed coconut. Leave the bowl over the pan of water but remove from the heat.
4. While the chocolate is melting mix the creme fraiche, coconut milk and salt in a second pan. heat gently but do not boil.
5. Beat the eggs and whisk gently in to the warmed milk/cream mixture. When the chocolate has melted add the milk egg mix through a strainer and mix gently. Try not to incorporate too much air, the mix needs to be firm not light and airey.
6. Pour the chocolate mix into the flan case. Place the flan in the pre-heated oven and cook for just 5 mins. Turn the oven off, leaving the flan in the oven for 40 mins. Remove the flan allow to cool then place in the fridge to chill.
7. Sprinkle the remaining dessicated coconut over the flan and serve with whipped cream.