A few weeks ago we tried a mushroom torte bought from the local supermaket. We quite enjoyed it so today Nigel had a go at making one. Below is his recipe.
MUSHROOM & SMOKED BACON PIE
360g sliced mushrooms
200g good quality smoked lardons
200ml crème fraises
1 medium onion diced
3 garlic cloves crushed
Knob of butter
1 tbs plain flour
1 tsp herbs de Provence (mixed herbs)
½ tbs olive oil
1 egg beaten
1. Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the onion and lardons. Cook gently until the onions are soft and the lardons are cooked through.
2. Add the mushrooms, garlic and herbs and cook for about 5 minutes.
3. Add the knob of butter and when melted add the plain flour. Cook for about 1 minute, and then start to add the crème fraises a little at a time stirring continuously until you have a thick sauce.
4. Once the sauce is of the desired consistency simmer for about 5 minutes, season as required. Turn of the heat and allow to cool.
5. Pre-heat the oven to 220˚C (475˚F, gas 7).
6. Lay 1 pastry circle on a baking sheet and spoon the creamy mushroom filling in to the middle spread in to a circle leaving a 1 inch gap from the edge. Brush the gap with beaten egg or cold water, lay the 2nd pastry circle over the mixture and seal the edge. Brush the top with beaten egg and place in the oven for about 25 - 30 minutes until the pastry cooked and golden.
7. Once cooked allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving.